Monday, February 27, 2006

Dark Starbucks

It's taken me a couple of days to get this down, but Friday morning I was en route to an oh so exciting conference at a hotel in central London when I stopped for a coffee. I had endured a long journey on the tube, and although it was bitterly cold outside I didn't want to rush on in as that would mean making small talk with my colleague who was also attending - and I don't particularly care for that individual...so I was forced to take refuge in a Starbucks coffee bar.

Anyway, I'm sat down with my latte with vanilla - I must concede, this was pretty good stuff, and the caffeine, which I'm not supposed to have, kept me awake all day - quietly failing to make much progress with the crossword when I suddenly recognise the opening chords of a record I like. None other than 'Sugar Magnolia'. Now, my fellow 'heads, you will appreciate like me that this is by no means the best version of this song, and there is much debate as to what is, and I personally think it's the weakest song on 'American Beauty' as it stands, and that was the version we got, but it's better than the whingey balladeers we were getting for our money that morning, I can assure you. However, I supped up and left when we later got 'Crocodile Rock'... But it was a little ray of sunshiney daydream to get me going.

1 comment:

johneffay said...

Surely the weakest song on 'American Beauty' just has to be 'Attics of My Life'? It makes me cringe every time I hear it.