Sunday, March 05, 2006

New variations on old themes...

Right, quite a lot to say this time, so I'll get down to business.

To return to an old theme, due to my generously donating time and effort to a loft clearance this weekend, I've acquired a number of what can only be described as vintage twat mags. They're over thirty years old, some classic titles such as Playboy, Mayfair, Penthouse and Men Only. The first thing to comment on is the price; in 1972 it cost you 40 new pence to shop the top shelf. The publisher was, as is, Paul Raymond, but the most important thing of all is that tastes have changed. The pictures, and there is probably less per mag, heavily diluted by riveting articles such as an interview with Keith Moon or a feature on the Isle of Man TT races, are, shall we say, more erotic. They are a bit more artistic, it's not a case of close-up on a shaving rash. They are pictures of elegant and attractive young women, fairly tasteful, and with many a coiffured quim. (Don't get upset, what should I call it? At least that alliterates.) Now, I realise that the law will have changed since 1972, and I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but what I would say is that the more 'naturel' look just has a bit more about it, you know. Like I've said before, the women look like women. I'm delighted by my acquisition.

Another subject that has come up over the weekend is the use and re-use of a tune called 'Choc Ice Goes Mental'. For those of you unfamiliar with it, this is an instrumental, played on the piano, and is attributed to Lord Choc Ice. Choc Ice is, in fact, Elton John, and 'Choc Ice Goes Mental', was about the last thing of any quality he recorded. (Is this another old theme recurring?) The evidence for this is that he appears to have used it as a b-side more than once...

And I was delighted to get a note here from sweeteffay - whose efforts I recommend you read, dear reader - on the subject of dodgy GD songs. I disagree with him on the subject of 'Attics...', as I'm compelled to seek some romanticism somewhere in my otherwise cold and cynical view of human nature. Even the Greek Genius is now resigned to telling me that I'll just have to accept the mediocrity of those around me, which is a desperate thing to be asked to do, and surely is the acknowledgement that there is no point in attempting to progress. But I would invite those of you with knowledge of this subject to consider the following: I don't believe that the Grateful Dead ever toured in the West Midlands, but they appear to refer to the town of Cradley Heath, repeatedly, in virtually every recording of 'Weather Report Suite' that I possess. Have a listen, and let me know what you think. Oh, and if anyone wants to check on this by looking at this site, please do, and I accept no liability for any injury you incur when you fall off your chair in uncontrollable fits of laughter. A contender for most pretentious site on the WWW. Unless you know better...

No comments: